July 14, 2015 12:00 AM | by Zeinab El-Fiqi
Five Reasons Why You Should Nap and How to Do It Properly
In this day and age, I know how hard it can be to get some decent amount of sleep. We are either working or trying to get a life! That's why I'll tell you about the importance of napping, that short period of sleep that you normally skip.
We put sleep at the bottom of our needs, while we really need it to actually keep going. And when we go to bed at night, we’re literally staring at our phones with one eye open until we fall asleep in the most uncomfortable way.
You might not sleep well at night, but you can start by taking a nap every day. Here are five reasons you should nap, and how to do it properly...
What is a nap?
A nap is a time you take in the middle of the day to get some sleep. This time should not exceed 20 to 30 minutes.
Why you should nap?
1. You should take a nap every day because it increases your alertness.
2. A nap in the middle of the day will recharge your energy.
3. Another important reason to take naps, is that they help you control mood crankiness and stress; sleep deprivation is a main factor of a bad mood.
4. Naps increase the efficiency of your memory, your creativity, your focus and learning abilities. And these are all important factors for your productivity.
5. Naps have a positive effect on our bodies in general; when we rest our bodies and give it time to snooze we eliminate the dangers of many diseases associated with sleep deprivation. Did I convince you to take a nap every day?
How to nap properly?
- When you plan to nap, try to plan it in a time between noon and afternoon. Early naps will force your body to sleep while it’s not ready yet to get some rest, and late naps will deprive you from an early and good night's sleep.
- Try to do it in a calm place with no light or very low light.
- Try to sleep in a room with a temperature that you usually feel comfortable sleeping in.
- Try to sleep in a relaxed position so you don’t hurt your back and neck, and wake up in a very bad mood.
Love yourself enough to live a healthy lifestyle! Check out our Health & Fitness section here.
Have You Read These?