March 13, 2014 12:00 AM | by Nada Allam
How to Sit Properly at Your Desk
Do you have a desk job, that involves you sitting and typing on a computer for about eight hours a day? Have you ever thought about what this could do to your back on the long run? Well I have, and adjusting the back of my seat is not enough to maintain a good and healthy posture. So here are a few tips and tricks your should consider on how to sit properly at your desk.
1. Firstly, you should know a good posture involves sitting with your back straightened and both your feet resting comfortably on the floor.
2. Only your forearms should be resting on the desk while your fingers type on the keyboard.
3. While sitting with a straight back, be sure to relax your shoulders completely, and not keep them strained.
4. Make sure your computer is leveled with your eyes. Do not exhaust your neck by angling your neck upwards or slighty downwards.
5. Take small breaks, preferably every 20-30 minutes. Rest your eyes away from any screens and stretch. Be sure to flex your arms and move your neck from side to side.
6. Try to notice whenever you slouch down while sitting. If this happens, don't be afraid to readjust your chair's backseat and pull yourself forward.
7. Do not sit cross legged! If you do, you are putting most of your weight on one side of your body, and this will eventually lead to a slouchy position.
8. Make sure to stand up every now and then and walk around the office. You need to break up your long sitting intervals.