February 19, 2014 12:00 AM | by Nada Allam
42 Reasons to Turn Your Phone Off
Did you know that the average person checks their phone approximately 150 times in 16 hours?
We use our phones everywhere, all the time. Having dinner, going to the bathroom, in a meeting, sitting in class, going for a jog. It got me thinking of the good old days, where a phone was just a phone, used only to call people and set up gatherings.
A world with no #selfies at the gym, with no tweeting your every random thought, a world where a date involves two people enjoying one another and not checking their phone or pausing the date to take a picture. I think you get my point, so the time has come for us to unplug people, go a day without using your phone. Here is a list of reasons why you should turn your phone off for a day.
1. Interact more with people not with screens.
2. Congratulate others in person.
3. Exert more effort to go and see people you miss.
4. Write more.
5. Read more books.
6. Volunteer at NGO's or charities.
7. Workout without interruption.
8. Stop comparing your life to others', you'll be happier.
9. Break the cell-phone addiction.
10. Block off negative comments.
11. Enjoy some time to yourself.
12. Appreciate the things around you more.
13. Relax and rediscover yourself.
14. Look for answers instead of typing it in the search box.
15. Sleep better.
16. Rethink how you manage your time.
17. Rest your eyes from screens.
18. Increase your productivity in work and studying, or whatever you need to focus on.
19. Use your own creativity to redesign your room or house without Pinterest.
20. Spend more time with your family.
21. Exert an effort to make grand romantic gestures, not type long Whats App conversations.
22. Reduce stress.
23. Watch a movie in one go, no interruptions.
24. Increase the hugs not the texts.
25. Enjoy the moment and the adventures, don't let your focus be on uploading pictures or updating statuses.
26. Be more thankful.
27. Play hide and seek and catchers with the kids before those games become extinct.
28. Draw more.
29. Go to parks and playgrounds.
30. Enjoy the outdoors.
31. Write postcards and letters.
32. Take pictures using a standard camera and make an old fashioned photo album.
33. Pay more attention to the road when you are driving.
34. Smile at people more instead of staring down at the screen.
35. Get you kids coloring books, not iPads.
36. Let your imagination run wild for a bit.
37. Use the real, living world for inspiration.
38. Brainstorm with people, not google.
39. Bake and cook more.
40. Do I really need to tell you, how much interaction you will be reducing with radiation.
41. Learn and play an instrument instead of Candy Crush.
42. Enjoy a wedding, and dance the night away.