June 29, 2014 12:00 AM | by The Fustany Team
Ramadan Iftar Menu: Day 1
First of all, Ramadan Mubarak to all. Throughout the holy month of Ramadan, we will bring you everyday a menu for the recipes that you can prepare for the family, with detailed steps on how to make them; so stay tuned.
Ramdan Iftar Menu: Day 1
Creamy Potato Soup + Mixed-Pepper Steak with Onions + Cream Kunafa
The Soup: Creamy Potato Soup
What you will need:
50 grams of butter
400 grams of potatoes (peeled and chopped)
1 chopped onion
900 grams of chicken cubes or mixed vegetables (according to your own preference)
120 grams of heavy cream
1 tsp salt
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan and wait for it to heat up then add the chopped potatoes and onions. Stir well till they start changing color then add the salt and pepper.
2. Cover the pan and leave it on a low flame for 10 minutes.
3. Boil some water in a pot along with the mixed vegetables or chicken cubes until they turn soft and turn into soup.
4. Get your blender and pour in the cream along with the soup you made in step 3 and the spices you prefer. Make sure to mix them well.
5. Add the potatoes to the mixture and stir.
6. Your creamy potato soup is now ready to be served. You can use fresh parsley or vegetables for garnish.
Main dish: Mixed-Pepper steak with onions
What you will need:
Steak meat slices (enough for family members)
2 small chopped onions
1 green bell pepper cut in thin slices
1 red bell pepper or chili pepper cut in thin slices
1 chopped tomato
3 garlic cloves
4 Tbsp olive oil
Juice from 3 tomatoes
Salt and pepper
1. Start by smothering the grill with regular oil and heating it while you are marinating the steak.
2. Spread the steak on a suitable dish and spray on it some salt and pepper along with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix them together then leave them for a few minutes till the meat starts absorbing the salt.
3. Put the steak onto the grill and flip it from time to time.
4. To prepare the sauce, get a sauce pan and heat the remaining olive oil in it. Add in the chopped onions, pepper and minced garlic and stir till their colors turns a crispy golden shade.
5. Once they change color toss in the tomato slices, salt and pepper all while still stirring.
6. Don't forget to check up on the meat every now and then till it's cooked to your preference.
7. Pour the tomato juice over the mixture and blend it well. Keep moving the sauce till it starts to boil.
8. Move the cooked steak to the serving dish with the mixed-pepper and onion sauce. You can serve it with white rice or steamed vegetables.
The Dessert: Cream Kunafa
What you will need:
1/2 Kilo of raw kunafa
1/2 cup of molten butter
2 cups of milk
1 cup of cornish cream
3 Tbsp starch
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp of sugar
What you will need for the syrup:
2 cups of sugar
11/2 cups of water
1. Place the raw kunafa in a big bowl and begin cutting it with your hands into small pieces.
2. Pour the molten butter over the small piece of kunafa and mix them well with your hands until all the pieces feel moist. Set it aside for now.
3. Bring a medium sized pot and pour in the milk, starch, cream and vanilla then stir.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar then place the pot on the stove. Start stirring until it boils and the mixture begins thickening then turn off the heat.
5. Get a round pan and make sure to smother the surface and the sides with oil or butter to avoid any sticking.
6. Now take half the portion of the buttered raw kunafa from the bowl and add it to the pan. Make sure to spread it properly so you have a flat, thick kunafa layer.
7. Pour the creamy mixture you made in step 4 evenly all over the kunafa but avoid the edges.
8. You can now add the remaining raw kunafa to the pan.
9. Place the kunafa in the oven for 35 minutes leaving it to become a golden color; then add the syrup.
How to prepare the syrup:
1. Place a sauce pan over medium heat after adding the water and sugar.
2. Stir well until you feel the liquid became more consistent.
3. Squeeze the lemon over it and stir for 2 more minutes.
4. Set aside till the kunafa is out of the oven.