June 11, 2016 12:00 AM | by The Fustany Team
Ramadan Recipes: How to Make Egyptian Falafel at Home
Falafel is one of the most authentic dishes known in the Arab world, and nowadays it’s very popular internationally. It is very hard not love falafel - this very fluffy on the inside and crusty on the outside traditional food! Do you know that there are two ways to make falafel? The first way is with chickpeas, and the second way is with fava beans - aka Egyptian falafel.
Because I know that falafel is a must for Suhoor during Ramadan, I'll share with you an easy recipe to make Egyptian falafel at home.
Ingredients to make Egyptian falafel:
250g dried split fava beans
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ leek, finely chopped
5 spring onions, finely chopped
½ tsp of bicarbonate soda
1 tsp of gram flour (garbanzo bean flour, pulse flour made from ground chickpeas)
1 tbsp coriander, chopped
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 tsp cumin
Salt and black pepper
Sunflower oil, for frying
Steps to make Egyptian falafel:
1. Preparations of falafel start a night before. In a large bowl, soak the dried split fava beans into cold water and cover it. Let the fava beans sit in overnight.
2. The next morning, drain the fava beans well in a colander, and make sure all of the water is gone.
3. In a food processor, add the split fava beans and all of the ingredients along with it.
4. Beat the ingredients well, until the mix becomes a very soft paste.
5. Take the falafel raw paste out into a large bow, and then start making small balls. The size of falafel balls and their shape is up to your own preference.
6. Take out a medium sized frying pan and fill it with oil, about 4 cm in depth. Before you start frying the falafel, you need to let the oil heat up.
7. Start frying the falafel patties, and make sure the heat is not so high. You need to make sure the inside of the falafel is cooked, and that the outside is brown and crusty.
Falafel would be even more delicious with a salad, some yogurt, tahini or hummus and of course pita bread.
Find out how to make the most delicious recipes from our Kitchen section here.
Don't Leave Just Yet!