Let me tell you about my experience with pole dancing, which is an awesome sport. For the ones who don't know what pole dancing is, let me first clarify that for you; pole dancing is a form of performance art, which combines dance and acrobatics centered around a vertical pole (that's according to Wikipedia but it pretty much sums it up).
A few months ago, I heard that one of the local gyms, Fibers Studio in Egypt, started the pole-fit classes, and I was very tempted to try it out, not knowing what to expect. I usually love trying out new and not so ordinary sports, which you can actually have tons of fun while doing. So I went ahead with my sister to see how badly we'll suck at it. To my surprise however, it was extremely fun, beyond what words could describe. Pole-fit (the name of the pole dancing class) mainly depends on body strength, and that's something you can easily get better at from one class to the next one. I think it heavily depends on the coach or instructor as well, and Abigail Pepperell, is the expert when pushing you to achieve great results in a very short time. What started off as me not being able to do much at first, turned into me doing much more advanced moves than I thought I could. So if you're thinking there's no way I can pull this off, think again! It's not as hard as it looks and you'll be able to do some crazy and fun moves in a very short period of time.
So why is pole dancing fun?
1. There's a lot of different moves you can learn and it helps you challenge yourself to try new things.
2. You'll learn how to spin, climb, do splits, doubles and inverted moves just to mention a few as they are kind of endless. If you have a strong body, you'll be able to pull off moves such as climbs, but if you're more on the flexible side, then spinning will be a piece of cake for you.
3. It's the furthest thing from boring, and you'll get a chance to release all the stress you've been holding back on.
What to wear?
Now that I've told you how fun it is to at least give it a try and you'll instantly get addicted, here's what you need to wear: hot shorts. You'll need bare legs to grip the pole, as it helps you pull off more moves. Don't worry though, it's a women's class only.
Benefits of Pole-fit?
1. Most of us dream to burn calories while having fun, and you can burn as many as 250 calories.
2. You'll get more toned and build some muscles including your arms, upper body and stomach, in addition to seeing increased muscle definition in your bottom, arms and thighs. Matter of fact is, you'll see results much faster than you think as you exercise every single muscle in your body.
3. The physical exertion will make your body release its happy hormones, endorphins, which will leave you happier and super energetic.
Now, if you're looking for a new and exciting kind of sport to try out, something that challenges you in a great way, then you should most certainly give pole dancing a try.
P.S. If you're among the close minded people who might think it's trashy or inappropriate, I'll ask you to give it one try, what do you have to loose anyway? The couch won't miss you!