March 15, 2016 12:00 AM | by Zeina Tawfik
16 Things You Must Know Before Buying a Chanel Flap Bag
You'd rarely find a woman out there who doesn't want to own a Chanel flap bag, right? That's because since ages ago, the Chanel flap bag has been a classic and timeless handbag choice, and it certainly would never go out of style.
For all the Chanel handbag lovers out there, who are thinking to invest in their first Chanel flap bag, here are 16 interesting facts you should know. From the difference between the Chanel 2.55 and the classic flap bag to the cheapest place you can buy a Chanel handbag, you'll find out everything and you'll be a true expert! It's not like you really need reasons to validate your Chanel flap bag purchase, but here you go...
1. The first edition of the Chanel classic flap bag was called the Chanel 2.55 handbag. The reason behind the name? The birth date of the iconic Chanel handbag, as it was first created in February 1955.
2. There are minor differences between today's Chanel classic flap bag, and Chanel's 2.55 handbag. What are they? The lock and the handle.
3. The lock on Chanel's 2.55 handbag is called the "Mademoiselle Lock," and the lock on the Chanel classic flap bag is the very popular CC turn-style lock.
4. You should also know that the shoulder strap on the Chanel 2.55 handbag is a double-chain strap. This type of chains was used to hold the keys that the caretakers held at the orphanage where Coco Chanel was raised. Later in the 1980s, Karl Lagerfeld introduced the leather woven double-chain strap for the Chanel classic flap bag style.
5. The new version of the Chanel 2.55 bag, which has been released by Karl Lagerfeld in 2005, has been called the Chanel Reissue 2.55 handbag, in celebration of its 50th anniversary. This means that the bag is a recent style and not a vintage one from the days of Coco Chanel.
6. Chanel's classic flap bag, and the 2.55 handbag are famously known for their signature quilted diamond pattern. It was inspired by jockey's riding coats that men used to wear in stables and during horseback-riding.
7. It is said that only a female artisan can work to create the the perfect shape of the Chanel flap bag. Certain gentle touches are required, to perfect the stitching and give the bag just the right volume.
8. There's a zippered compartment in Chanel's flap bag, and rumors say that Coco Chanel has designed it specifically to hide her love letters!
9. After manufacturing, a Chanel flap bag goes through quality control. That's where the bag the carefully inspected and tested.
10. Lambskin, caviar leather and patent leather are three of the most popular leather types of Chanel classic bags. The lambskin is very soft and smooth, the caviar leather has a grained look and it's more heavy duty as it doesn't scratch easily, meanwhile, the patent leather is very polished with a shiny look, and it stains quite easily.
11. There are several sizes of the Chanel flap bag, which range from mini to jumbo! Of course, the bigger the Chanel bag, the higher the price tag. However, the price always varies according to the type of leather/skin and hardware.
12. The Chanel flap bags gets more expensive year after year. So, with each passing year, the demand on the Chanel handbags gets very high, and its value also increases. Nowadays, a Chanel flap bag retail price starts from $2,000, approximately.
13. An interesting fact you should, is that the first Chanel flap bag only cost $220 in the year 1955.
14. Even after the worldwide increase in the prices of the Chanel handbags, Europe is the cheapest place to buy a Chanel handbag. That's where you can get up to 12% tax refund, if you're not a citizen there.
15. The packaging of a new Chanel flap bag, comes in a Chanel cardboard box, with a dust bag, and an identification card to guarantee authenticity.
16. Certain styles of the Chanel flap bag have a (literally) non-ending waiting list. Although every season new styles of the Chanel flap bag are out, the classic colors (such as black, beige, etc.) are always in super high demand, and they sell out in a blink.
The way you accessorize will make or break your outfit! So read more from our Accessories section here.
Have You Read These?