April 11, 2013 12:00 AM | by Nancy Hennes
Fashion Facts - How to Identify Your Body Type
When trying to figure out what would look best on you, you first need to identify your body shape. Women’s body shapes are mainly divided into 6 categories: Pear, Apple, Hourglass, Diamond, Inverted Triangle and Rectangle. Each body type has its advantages and disadvantages, which should be taken into consideration when choosing your outfits, as you’ll always have to highlight certain areas of your body and hide others.
What body type are you? To answer this question, stand in front of a mirror wearing a figure hugging top and leggings and take note of your shoulder, waist and hip width and their ratios to each other.
1. Pear: Slim shoulders, slimmer waist and wide hips.
2. Apple: Slim shoulders, wider waist and wide hips.
3. Hourglass: Almost equal shoulders and hips with a small waist.
4. Diamond: Slim shoulders and hips with a wider waist.
5. Inverted Triangle: Wide shoulders, almost similarly slim waist and hips.
6. Rectangle: Almost equally proportioned shoulders, waist and hips.