April 22, 2014 12:00 AM | by Amira Azzouz
Fashion Forward Dubai Season 3 - Day 2
The second day of Fashion Forward’s third season was also pretty packed with tons of fashion shows, and you literally had to go right in from one to the other. Here’s our summary…
1. Bashar Assaf’s collection was very well-structured and followed a clear theme. Simple yet elegant looks that flatter the female body, think perfect cuts and great quality. Assaf’s designs included basic colors such as black and white in addition to daring ones, from electric blue to maroon red, mixed with some of his signature prints as well. Did we mention he introduced menswear? We loved it!
2. Essa? The first thing that came to mind when we saw his collection at Fashion Forward’s third season was Indian culture inspired designs blended with a new take on vibrantly colored rock chic. The pieces showcased were very versatile, with different textures, cuts and colors. In other words, Essa proved to the crowd once again that he’s the master of edgy designs regardless of the inspiration. He can make it work in his own favor!
3. The way we pictured the woman who would wear Said Mahrouf’s collection was as follows, she’s definitely a working woman with sophisticated style, she likes to be unique and feels sexy in her own skin, yet she’s not a show-off. Said Mahrouf’s collection at Fashion Forward consisted mainly of light shades, a minority of looks included darker tones and there were some shimmery yet subtle looks as well. Oh, and he certainly has a thing for drapery, we saw them in almost every design on the runway.
4. If we had to guess the inspiration behind Taller Marmo’s collection, it would be sportswear meets elegant. We went a bit further to try and imagine the woman who would wear it and it would certainly be someone who likes to give off that laid-back attitude. Two of the designs on the runway didn’t quite fit that theme though as they looked like they came out of another show and the inclusion of ruffles in one of them didn’t do it for us.
5. Hello fairytale princess! Yes, that was Rami Kadi’s theme for his Le Royaume Enchanté collection. Dreamy gowns with the right amount of fluff in them, tons of fine details to admire, flowers all over, and to be honest it was a very cheerful runway show. We’ve also seen lots of lace whether dominating the look or just small details, embroidery and popping colors such as fuchsia. The collection wouldn’t work for everyone though, as it has a very girly side to it. Our favorite dresses were three, the white gown with pastel flowers (rose, light blue and yellow), the light blush one with white floral embroidery (corset and a line with ruffles) and lastly, a pastel blue gown with white embroidery and a tulle skirt underneath.
6. We truly believe that anyone with a great sense of style knows very well the importance of accessories. Even if the outfit has tons of details, accessories are always the first thing we notice. That’s exactly why we love the concept of Velsvoir; their pieces instantly add a refreshing aspect to the look. This season was their first to showcase on Fashion Forward’s runway and they did it in collaboration with German label Patrick Hellmann. Last but not least, the show was directed and curated by Mohammed Sultan Al Habtoor.
1. Several designs by Essa included feathers and while we liked them on most of the looks, we didn’t quite enjoy it when they were the centerpiece in certain designs.
2. Some pieces showcased during Taller Marmo’s show weren’t flattering to the female body and we also spotted an off-the-shoulder crop top, which as a concept looked cool, but we wouldn’t imagine being able to wear it as it doesn’t look comfortable and seemed like you’re wrapped up in something.
Designer of the Day:
The team was torn between three designers, so we decided to drop it and just call it a tie, but you can surely guess who these three were...
Accessories We Loved:
1. When you’re going for an exciting collection then you certainly need to add some unique accessories. So what did Essa do? He collaborated with artist Maria Iqbal to add her modern take on pop art with some funky shoes.
2. We loved how Taller Marmo mixed up dresses with sneakers, we can’t wait to see more of that trend on the streets. The duo also collaborated with Azza Bijou and the pieces that stood out the most were of course the traditional Emirati burqa, with a unique twist, in addition to the statement arabesque cuff.
3. Rami Kadi’s floral oversized headpieces were a demonstration that headpieces with flowers are a great pick this season. Of course you do know that in fashion shows they sometimes exaggerate to prove a point and that you just need to go with a simple floral approach, right?
4. Although wearing bow-ties isn’t really our thing (for the girls at Fustany at least), but Velsvoir’s colorfully crystal embellished one is now on top of our list. A very fun statement we have to say! Did we mention that the men behind Fustany loved the suspenders?
Lesson of the Day:Being in the fashion industry or attending a fashion show for that matter doesn’t mean you should try too hard. We’ve seen way too many people trying to impress and for what? You should just be yourself and don’t go over the top if that’s not who you really are!
Find out what went on during the first day of Fashion Forward here.
Photography: Ian Gavan and Stuart Wilson (Getty Images)