March 18, 2013 12:00 AM | by Zeina Tawfik
Thoughts of a Mum - Amal Khourshid
Amal Khourshid, a mother and Founder and Arab Fashion Designer of Aila.
1. The best advice my mum ever gave me is…
Family always comes first!
2. What's the one thing you got from your mum and you'd like to pass down to your kid?
No matter the circumstances, to always be supportive and understanding.
3. Share with us a lesson that motherhood has taught you.
As much I heard it from my mom, I never thought my entire life would revolve around my daughter, but I'm so blessed.
4. What's your favorite part of being a mum?
My two-year-old daughter being dependent on me for everything. It's an amazing feeling to feel like I'm her lifesaver.
5. Recommend a survival kit to the new mums out there.
Find a balance between giving your child all the care, love and attention while continuing with your work and social life.
6. What's the oddest thing you have carried in your handbag as mum?
If you look on my iPhone, you would find the oddest applications and kids games!
7. Do you get in the way of your kids' fashion choices?
It depends, as young toddlers, girls tend to put together the outfits that don't match at all. At home, I give her the choice to wear whatever she feels like wearing, however when going out I try to put together 2-3 outfits and let her choose among them. It is very important in my opinion to let your child have a choice, it gives them a feeling that their decisions are being respected, since they have their own style. They will be happy and comfortable wearing the outfits they choose, while you limit them with choices to indirectly prove that the parents opinion's should be respected.