July 19, 2017 12:00 AM | by The Fustany Team
What to Expect When Dating Much Older or Younger Men
Let's face it, we live in a very judgmental world and especially here in the Arab region, where every family member feels like it's their obligation to butt into your relationship and your love life. Let's picture this scenario for a second, you're dating a man who's twice your age or even a few years younger than you, let's say around five years at least. We're not saying any of those two options are bad in any way, in fact some people find them sexy, but we're just saying people tend to talk and talk a lot, which you need to be ready for. Are you? Now if your answer is yes, below are a few pointers on what you need to keep in mind when entering a relationship with an older man or a younger one.
Though there are a lot of pros to getting married to an older man such as being with someone wise who has a good amount of life experiences (mostly) and we're sure lots of other things speak for him, you'll also need to consider the below problems or issues that might occur.
1. Make sure he's dating you for the right reasons, meaning he's not being with you just because you're much younger and he thinks it's easier to control you or just because he wants to relive his youth again.
2. An important point to consider is your sex life. Are you okay with the fact that you'll most probably be much more active than he is when you're married and having sex? Think about it!
3. Sex aside, let's talk travel, friends and fun for a moment. Would he be up for trips and outings or would you be much more active in that area and he's too tired for that?
4. Time for a background check! Yes, it never hurts to be too careful. You need to ask around about the man you're about to marry. If he's divorced it might help to talk to a friend who knew him and his ex wife, just to make sure you're hearing both sides of the story.
5. Be ready to respect his own life if he has kids or an old mother. That's something you shouldn't keep him away from, they should be part of your own family too.
6. If he hasn't been married before, you'll need to keep in mind that he was most probably living alone all that time, which means he'll be harder to deal with, as he's used to having his own space and his very own life. It'll take time for him to accept it's a life for two now.
7. Make sure you know where he stands with kids. Does he want to have kids right away or if he doesn't want to have kids at all. It's crucial to talk it through...
8. Last but not least and because your very close and true friends are very important, is he willing to accept them and does he get along well with them? Never give up your true friends for a relationship!
Now the other scenario, he's fun and youthful and brings the crazy in you, which is great! But you'll also need to read through the below issues which might occur when dating a much younger man and getting married.
1. You're older and most probably have a much more successful position at work, which means you make more money. Would that cause an issue between you guys? Most guys claim it won't, but you'll be able to pick on it and especially if you know each other well. We tell you it might cause big problems!
2. Some guys like to get into a relationship with older women because they're missing the parental figure. So the question here is are you willing to be both a lover and a parental figure or would you rather have a man that takes care of you as well? If he's a little bit of both, then it's fine of course.
3. Let's face it, most women are much more advanced than men of the same age when it comes to thinking (not always but mostly). With the age difference between you two, chances are you'll notice the difference in thinking often. Are you willing to compromise or not?
4. Even though some of us women like to be independent, we always enjoy having a shoulder to lean on. We're not saying you won't be able to do that with a younger man. However, you need to think it through, with the age difference and you earning more, would you be able to do that?
5. Just like we said at the beginning of the article, people are going to gossip a lot about you. Not just gossip, some would also come talking to you and him about it and trying to convince you to get out of it. You need to be ready for that. If it's true love then nothing can break it.
L.O.V.E, a four letter word with so much more behind it. Explore it all in our Love & Relationships section.
Don't Leave Just Yet!