October 31, 2016 12:00 AM | by Zeinab El-Fiqi
How to Make Delicious Carrot Jam at Home
There’s nothing like home-cooked jam, because you cook it just the way you like and above all it’s healthy. And if you haven’t seen our strawberry jam recipe, I have to tell you that making jam at home is so easy, and it's actually a fast process! So here you go, this is how you can make delicious home-cooked carrot jam.
- 1 kg. of fresh carrots
- 4 cups of white sugar
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Koshar salt
- 2 cm of a cinnamon stick
- 12 whole cloves
- Large pinch of nutmeg
1. Wash the carrots very well, and then peel them carefully. Then cut them into tiny pieces or slices.
2. Add the carrots to a deep sauce pan, and also add the sugar, the lemon juice and the salt. Stir the mix very well without any kind of heat.
3. In a cheesecloth, which is a very thin layer of cloth, place the cinnamon sticks and the cloves, and then wrap them very well. Then dip the wrap in the sauce pan, along with the carrots.
4. Cover the sauce pan and place it in the refrigerator, and let it sit in for a whole night.
5. The next morning, bring out the refrigerated sauce pan on the cooker, and add to it ½ cup of water and the nutmeg.
6. Leave the mixture on medium high heat for 40 minutes, until the carrots become glossy. Stir the mixture once in a while.
7. This step is important to test if the jam is ready. Put a plate in the freezer and wait until it’s cold enough, take out a spoonful of hot jam and place it on the cold plate. Put it back into the freezer for a minute, and then take out. If you can run your finger through the jam and make a line without the jam running back into place, then the jam is ready.
8. Meanwhile, hot sterile jars should be ready to receive the strawberry jam.
9. Place the jars in a water bath to let it cool down slowly. And then your jam is ready to be refrigerated, and then eaten.
Find out how to make the most delicious recipes from our Kitchen section here.
Don't Leave Just Yet!