April 23, 2014 12:00 AM | by ScoopEmpire.com
Salmon Gnocchi Bake Recipe
Gnocchi – the ultimate carb, but it just tastes so good! Treat yourself to a home-cooked meal today with this salmon gnocchi bake.
This should take no less than 30 minutes to make and is perfect for the entire family.
- 500g packet fresh gnocchi
- 25g butter
- 1 small leek, washed, trimmed and thickly sliced
- 200g packet soft cream cheese
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1/2-1 tsp dried chilli flakes, to taste
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 150g pacific or organically farmed salmon, tilapia or trout fillet, skinned and diced *
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the gnocchi and cook for 2-3 minutes, until cooked. (The gnocchi will float to the surface when they are ready.) Drain and reserve 250ml of the cooking water. Set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a wide, deep frying pan and gently fry the leek for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Stir in the cream cheese, tomato purée, chilli flakes, lemon zest, parsley and reserved water, until the cheese has melted and everything is combined. Adjust the seasoning.
3. Add the gnocchi and salmon to the frying pan and stir to coat. Spoon into a deep 1.2-litre ovenproof dish and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Serve immediately.
Tip: Look out for bargains at your supermarket fish counter or use canned salmon to make this dish even cheaper.
* Salmon, cod and tuna are severely threatened by over-fishing. There are a number of sustainable and just as tasty species that work equally well in the above recipe – in some cases they can even be cheaper. See channel4.com/fish for more information.
A soft, buttery Chardonnay will hit the spot here – pick a good-value one from sunny Sicily or southern Italy, perhaps.
WE SAID THIS: Get creative! Gnocchi can be prepared in a number of ways, just mix up the sauce and veg or protein.