February 17, 2016 12:00 AM | by Zeina Tawfik
The Easiest Recipe to Make Donuts at Home
You might think that making donuts at home can be a hard task, but you're totally mistaken! In fact, you can actually make crispy and delicious donuts at home, and enjoy their taste just like the ones you get from the shops. However, you should know that making donuts at home might take a little while, but when you master the technique, you'll know that it's totally worth it. Here is a step by step guide to make donuts at home...
What you will need to make homemade donuts:
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tsp instant yeast
- 1 Tsp salt
- 125 grams butter
- 4 cups oil (for frying)
Steps to make homemade donuts:
1. In a cooking pot, heat the milk until it's warm and then add the sugar and yeast. Stir lightly until the yeast starts to bubble.
2. Now get a big bowl, and beat the eggs. Add the melted butter, salt, and the mixture you just prepared in the above step. Start beating very well using an electric mixer.
3. Start adding the flour bit by bit while using the electric mixer. Make sure it's on low speed now.
4. After a while, the dough should start getting thick. If you feel it's too wet, add some more flour and beat again.
5. Lightly grease a large bowl with oil, and place the dough in it. Cover it with a plastic wrap and leave it until in doubles in size.
6. When you take out the dough after it rises, start rolling it out to 1/4 thickness on a floured surface.
7. Using a donut cutter, starting preparing the donuts and make sure to remove the holes. Place the donuts on a floured baking sheets in a pan with enough space between them, cover them with a kitchen towel and let them rise for about 2 hours.
8. When the doonuts are puffed up, it's your cue to start frying them. Heat the oil, and try to drop one donut hole in it. If it puffs up and rises to the surface, then you're good to go.
9. Carefully fry the donuts in the oil, and use a spoon to flip them over to the other side. Remove from the oil when the donuts are golden brown.
10. Leave them to cool off on a paper towel.
What you will need to make donuts glaze:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup water
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp vanilla extract
Steps to make glaze for homemade donuts:
1. In a bowl, mix the powdered sugar with cold water. Add the salt and vanilla extract and mix until it becomes smooth.
2. Drop in the donuts in the bowl and turn them over until they become completely covered with the glaze you just made.
3. Place them on a rack until they're dry.
Now you're ready to enjoy your homemade donuts!
Find out how to make the most delicious recipes from our Kitchen section here.Don't Leave Just Yet!