There’s nothing like a cup of hot chocolate on a cold fall/winter night! And imagine adding a spoonful of Nutella for a strong chocolate flavor or going for little pieces of marshmallow; we bet that would make you go to bed feeling warm and cozy.
Some people like to add a pinch of cinnamon to their hot chocolate drinks; it gives it a very unique taste, while others like to add a spoonful of whipped cream for a heavenly taste. Many of us like to drink our hot chocolate with some chocolate cookies or churros.
Now that we probably got you drooling over hot chocolate, are you ready for 10 hot chocolate recipes that will make you feel warm, cozy, and happy? Keep reading to get inspired, and enjoy.
Creamy Homemade Hot Chocolate
1 cup milk
1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons chocolate chips
1-2 drops vanilla extract
Place milk, cocoa powder, and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until warm (but not boiling). Add chocolate chips and whisk constantly until the chocolate chips melt and distribute evenly into the milk. Whisk in vanilla extract, serve immediately.
Recipe and image credit: celebratingsweets
Oreo Hot Chocolate (Serving 4)
4 Cups Whole Milk - divided
1/2 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
8 Regular Oreos
3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch, optional
1. In a blender, blend 1 cup milk, sweetened condensed milk, Oreos, cocoa, and cornstarch until smooth.
2. In a saucepan over medium/low, heat the remaining 3 cups milk until just barely steaming for 8-10 minutes while whisking occasionally.
3. Add chocolate Oreo mixture and continue to heat while whisking for 5-10 more minutes. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
4. Remove from heat. Serve topped with whipped cream and Oreo Cookie crumbles.
Recipe and image credit: wonkywonderful
Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
2 cups milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips or cinnamon chips
1-2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
1 Tbsp pumpkin puree (optional)
1. Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan over medium heat.
2. Whisk occasionally until the chocolate is completely melted and the milk begins to foam. Taste and adjust seasoning.
3. Divide into mugs and garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice.
Recipe and image credit: amandascookin
Cinnamon Caramel Hot Chocolate
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 - 1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup caramel sauce
2 cups half and half
2 cups milk
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together everything except the 4 cups of dairy until the cocoa powder has fully incorporated into the caramel, giving you a thick, sticky paste.
2. Gradually whisk in the dairy until the mixture is smooth. Drag a spatula across the bottom and corners of the pan to make sure the caramel mix has fully incorporated.
3. Set the heat to medium and heat the hot chocolate for 6-8 minutes or until steaming, whisking once every minute or so.
4. Serve hot with whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon.
Recipe and image credit: reallifeathome
Rose Hot Chocolate (Vegetarian)
3 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 teaspoon sugar
4 tablespoon plant milk (oat, soy, or almond)
480 ml plant milk
6 teaspoons rose water
1. Combine cocoa and sugar in a mug.
2. Stir well, then slowly add 2 tablespoons of milk for each portion you're making. Grab a small fork or whisk and stir vigorously to create a smooth paste.
3. Pour the remaining milk over your paste. Mix well using a fork or a spoon.
4. Transfer to a pan and add rose water. Heat on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes until you can see steam rising from your pan.
Optional: if you want your hot chocolate to be extra bubbly, use an electric milk frother to froth it up.
5. Serve in a mug with all your favorite toppings such as mini marshmallows or whipped coconut cream.
Recipe and image credit: myveganminimalist
Chai Hot Chocolate
1 ½ cups whole milk
1 teaspoon cornstarch
¼ cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 teaspoon chai spice (you can use Ahmed Tea chai spice bags)
1 cup milk or dark chocolate chunks
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoon sugar, optional
Pinch of salt, optional
Use any of these toppings (marshmallows, whipped cream, shaved chocolate, or chocolate syrup)
1. Pour the milk into a sauce pan and stir in the cornstarch until there aren't any lumps. Put the sauce pan on low to medium heat.
2. Add the heavy cream into the saucepan and stir. Next, sift the cocoa powder and chai spice into the pot. Whisk until everything is fully combined and there are no lumps.
3. Allow the milk to come up to a rolling simmer for 3-4 minutes, never fully coming to a boil. Whisk every minute or two so the milk doesn't scorch. Once it starts boiling, remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the chocolate.
4. Keep whisking until the chocolate fully melts. Stir in the vanilla extract. Taste and adjust for sugar and add a very small pinch of salt.
5. Split the hot chocolate into two mugs. Top with marshmallows and whipped cream. Serve hot. (Optional) Torch the marshmallows!
Recipe and image credit: masalaandchai
Coffee Hot Chocolate
Coffee Hot Chocolate:
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
3 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 rounded teaspoon instant coffee powder or instant espresso powder
Coffee Whipped Cream:
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
¼ tsp instant coffee powder or instant espresso powder
1. Make the hot chocolate: Heat the milk, chocolate chips, sugar, cocoa powder, and instant coffee powder on a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk as the mixture warms to incorporate the ingredients. Don’t let the mixture boil. Continue to heat until warmed throughout and the chocolate is fully melted for about 5 minutes.
2. Make the coffee whipped cream: Using a small whisk, whip the cream, sugar, and instant coffee powder together until stiff peaks form. Add on top of the hot chocolate and enjoy!
Recipe and image credit: thelittlestcrumb
Nutella Hot Chocolate
4 cups milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup Nutella Hazelnut Spread
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Pinch of salt
Marshmallows or whipped cream for topping
1. In a medium saucepan, add the milk, chocolate chips, sugar, Nutella, and salt. Over medium heat, slowly whisk the ingredients together. Heat on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, making sure not to boil. Once the liquid comes to a low simmer, remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla.
2. While still hot, ladle into mugs, and top with your preference of marshmallows or whipped cream.
Recipe and image credit: delightfulemade
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
1 ½ cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon mint syrup
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
1 cup bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
Whipped cream for topping
Marshmallows for topping
1. Combine milk, heavy cream, and powdered sugar in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a light simmer, stirring occasionally.
2. While the milk is heating up, add the chopped chocolate to a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring between each one.
3. Once the milk mixture has come to a simmer, remove it from the heat. Whisk in the melted chocolate until the hot chocolate is well combined. Add the mint syrup to the mug first then pour in the hot chocolate and top it with whipped cream and/or mini marshmallows.
Recipe and image credit: littlesunnykitchen
Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
2 cups of milk
6 tablespoons bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
¼ cup creamy peanut butter
4 tablespoons granulated sugar (or coconut sugar)
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
⅛ teaspoon salt optional
1. Add milk chocolate, peanut butter, and sugar to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat.
2. Whisk constantly until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
3. Add cocoa powder, vanilla and salt (if desired) and whisk until completely combined and warm.
4. Cover and remove from heat and let cocoa sit (covered) for 5 minutes before serving if you would like a very thick hot cocoa, or serve immediately.
Recipe and image credit: joyfoodsunshine