July 16, 2020 02:05 PM | by Jasmine Kamal
Fatma Elshazly: 'Simplicity' Is the Absolute Key for at Home Weddings
Every girl dreams of her wedding day. Ever since childhood, we start developing a plan and ideas of what we want our wedding to be like, from the dress, invites, location and so on..The past couple of months have been unstable and scary for many brides and grooms due to the COVID-19 pandemic. So since many brides have been resorting to really small intimate celebrations with only family members, we wanted to talk to an expert to help us with everything related to at home weddings. So, we had a chat with one of the best, Fatma Elshazly, event and wedding panner, who has organized many celebrity events. Here's what she told us...
Wedding Trends in 2020 and in upcoming period
We started the beginning of our conversation talking about wedding trends during the current period, but Fatima Al-Shazly had another say on the matter. "There is no reason to just depend on 'wedding trends', because it all has to do with the style of the ceremony that the bride wants and requests, and also the place where it will be held. For some people like simplicity, and so we go for simple things that match their taste and others like extravagant decor and so on..."
Home weddings VS big wedding parties
Fatima talked about home weddings, saying, "We hope that it is only a temporary period and weddings will go back to normal again. Even though home weddings are beautiful, they do not allow us, as wedding planners, a big space for creativity and innovation when it comes to organizing and choosing decorations, given the space and nature of the houses and their design. In hotel venues or open spaces, we have a bigger chance to implement different ideas and decorations and therefore the wedding event is better, but this doesn't mean that we can't also create, for at home weddings, an interesting and special event. Of course it's better if the space is large."
Weddings during the coronavirus pandemic:
It's very difficult to have a wedding and at the same time follow the safety procedures and measures for safety. Fatma Elshazly has a few simple tips that be summarized in these steps...
1. Sterilize all the equipment that will be used during the wedding.
2. All staff supervising the wedding should be disinfected as well.
3. Maintaining social distancing. Which means choosing a smaller number of tables so that they are 2 meters away from each other.
4. Not inviting a large number of people. It is sufficient to only have those really close to you, so the number of people don't exceed 100, and this only depends on the space. The smaller the space, the less people you should invite and so on...
5. All invitees are obligated to wear masks (there are many different styles and forms available).
6. Everyone’s should be committed to their own personal alcohol bottle.
Things the bride and groom should stop doing
For years now, many engaged couples make mistakes when it comes to planning a wedding, and Fatma Elshazly believes that there are certain things that everyone should refrain from, especially when it comes to big weddings ...
1. Having more than one singer can be too much and confusing. Try to limit it to one singer or artist only.
2. The DJ is essential in a wedding. So they should be chosen carefully.
3. It is necessary to stop children from attending weddings.
Fatma Elshazly's tips for having an at home wedding:
1. The size of the house should be taken into consideration. It is enough to hold a wedding or not? it be enough to hold a wedding or not? If not, they should choose a relative's house if it's bigger.
2. Use simple and easy decor, like as roses. Simplicity is the secret to elegant at home weddings.
3. Avoid setting up an 'open buffet' and have instead ready meals served on the tables. or a menu for people to choose from.
4. Using bright and good lighting to show the decor and also ensure that you get great pictures.
5. Avoid a large number of invitees.
Main Image Credits: Instagram @fatmaweddingplanner
Our Living section is a woman's best friend. See for yourself and get a little bit of everything!