It's that time of the year again! Mother's Day is tomorrow; that day where we celebrate, honor, gift, spoil and pamper our mamas. With social media taking over our lives, we couldn't think of a better idea for a Mother's Day feature than to do it the #TBT #Throwback way, only we decided to call it #ThrowbackMama. We got in touch with some of our favorite artists, fashion designers, bloggers and entrepreneurs from all over the Middle East, and invited them to dig up their old photo albums and share with us a snapshot with their mama. They also shared with us some awe-inspiring words, because we do know that mothers know best, and we believe that all we are, we owe to our mamas.
Sherifa Mahmoud, Owner - Style-Treasure.com
- Mama is always right because she is and will always be my best friend who cares for me more than anyone else in the world, and wishes me the best in life. Just like any mum, she has passed this way ahead of me, so she'll always give me the right advice.
- I got it from my mama because she has it all! My mum taught me how to sit like a lady and climb a tree like a tom-girl. My mum taught me virtues from the day I was born, she taught me religious and moral values. Some of the most important virtues that my mum taught me are: honest, respect for persons, and peace-making. She taught me to be independent, and to have my own opinions and thoughts instead of going along with everyone else, or following the popular idea. She taught me to think for myself. Being strong and self sufficient, being loyal and trust-worthy are definitely all things I learned from her.
Tatiana Fayad, Co-Founder & Designer - Vanina
- Mama is always right because she's probably been through this before.
- I got it from my mama: Gratitude.
Ashraf Hamdi, Actor - Filmmaker - TV Host
- Mama is always right because she's my mama and her wrong will always be right no matter what.
- I got it from my mama: Persistence and hard work. Oh, and same eyes too.
Serene Abbas, Co-Founder - RagHunter.com
- Mama is always right because she was born that way.
- I got it from my mama: Intense passion for the things we love.
AlWajd AlFayez, Film Director & Founder - Mugshot Productions
- Mama is always right because she refuses to be wrong!! I adore my mama!!
- I got it from my mama: My love for cake and life. "Life is not sweet without sweets." This is her motto, and she lives by it. Literally.
Haya Awad, Founder & Designer - Fashion Attack
- Mama is always right because she's my mum!
- I got it from my mama: Her fascination with elegance and beauty, her looks and strong will.
Hussein Bazaza, Fashion Designer
- Mama is always right because once she said, "Hussein, there is no way you will study Marketing, because you will be a Fashion Designer, let's go to the Esmod University and register."
- I got it from my mama: The kind and loving heart.
Ahmed Abou Chaaban, Co-Owner & Creative Director - Palestyle
- Mama is always right because... WHICH P.S. I'm not always happy about, but it's only obvious that she would be, as out of ALL people in this world, she's the only one with pure and real intentions, and wants nothing but the best for me. She saw me through all my phases and know me best, so once she has a hunch or an opinion, I learned it the hard way that indeed she's always right!
- I got it from my mama: I would like to say everything good in me. My faith and my belief in goodness, without those two I don't think I would have been who I am today.
Joe Challita, Fashion Designer
- Mama is always right because... I will blame it on maternal instincts. My mom and I have a great bond together. She gave birth to me at 17, as a result she was also like a big sister and a friend. She knows me best, and is always right.
- I got it from my mama: Fashion, flair and creativity were passed onto me by mother. Growing up in a creative ambiance my mother was an inspiring creative. From a young age, I would plot along with her to fabric shops, beading stores , to tailors and for fittings... I saw her dye her own fabrics in the bath tub, designing, cutting, beading and even making outfits from crochet table cloths, even embroidering her own shoes! She taught me to think outside of the box. I took in everything she did with curious eyes. I can only thank her, for who I am today, for shaping my creative persona from an early age and for being the source of my creativity. The greatest lesson I learnt from her, is that it's not about what you wear. Emanating grace and exuding class and elegance, comes from within. As a child, I was in awe how my mom's presence drew positive attention wherever she went. She was known for her grace and elegance. This is the legacy and message that I hope to embody through my work. Making every woman standout with grace.
Sarah Al Dabbagh, Founder & Event Planner - Lace Events
- Mama is always right because somehow she IS always right! Even when we try to deny it.
- I got it from my mama: Love for celebration and hosting, definitely got that from my mama!
Dana Malhas Ghandour, Co-Owner & Creative Director of CREAM-Jeddah Boutique
- Mama is always right because she's a super mama!
- I got it from my mama: I learned how to love from her.
Tracy Ghazal, Fashion Blogger - Fashion to Tracy
- Mama is always right because she knows me the most.
- I got style from my mama.
Ines Gohar, Womenswear Fashion Buyer - Beymen Cairo
- Mama is always right because she said so!
- I got it from my mama: To love unconditionally.
Joanne Hayek, Co-Founder & Designer - Vanina
- Mama is always right because she'll never give no for an answer. She'd see potential in anything and turn it into a marvel. I admire her view of life, very down to earth, yet always in search for new playful adventures.
- I got it from my mama: My energy, I think I only got a quarter of the energy she has, which I already find to be a lot to deal with by the end of the day. I don't know how she does it; she's just always sparkling, always ready to go.
Mira Hayek, Fashion Designer
- Mama is always right because her dedication and support have remained unchanged since day one. She inspires me with her effortless sense of style and grace, and she taught me a lot about beauty.
- I got it from my mama: Sense of style! I look back at pictures of my mum before I was born and I am always shocked at how unconsciously stylish she was. That is by far my favorite part about it!
Reem Hourani, PR & Communication Manager - Lama Hourani
- Mama is always right because she's perfect in every way.
- I got my cheek bones from my mama.
Krikor Jabotian, Fashion Designer
- Mama is always right because Sisi knows best.
- I got it from my mama: My panic attacks.
Joelle Maalouf, Founder - L'Atelier Blanc
- Mama is always right because "she said so."
- I got it from my mama: Love for food.
Lailli & Alizey Mirza, Fashion Bloggers - Pintsized Fashionista
- Mama is always right because mothers generally have this amazing sixth sense and intuition that us, as children, don't posses.
- I got it from my mama: Our dedication to our work and determination to succeed in everything we do, ensuring that we'll one day grow up to become strong, independent women like her.
Maya Mukhi, Co-Founder & Jewelry Designer - Mukhi Sisters
- Mama is always right when she says your sisters are the best group of friends you'll ever need.
- My love for life, I got it from my mama.
Meena Mukhi, Co-Founder & Jewelry Designer - Mukhi Sisters
- Mama is always right concerning red lipstick, it gives a more sensual energetic and sexier look.
- My looks, I got them from my mama.
Zeenat Mukhi, Co-Founder & Jewelry Designer - Mukhi Sisters
- Mama is always right when she says take a jacket before you get sick. Take that jacket, or you'll come back sick.
- Being great and having a big heart. I got that from my mama.
Narina Najm, Co-Founder - RagHunter.com
- Mama is always right because her heart is in the right place.
- I got it from my Mama: Her giving nature.
Sandrine Der Nigogossian, Fashion & Lifestyle Blogger - The Closet Cause
- Mama is always right because she's my guardian angel.
- I got it from my Mama: My love for bags.
Hannah Rasekh, Fashion Blogger - Striped and Spotted
- Mama is always right because she says so and there's no arguing with that!
- My grandparents say I am a carbon copy of my mum when she was my age. Out of my brothers and sisters, I look like her the most.
We have the same smile, so that's one thing I'd like to think I got from my mama!
Lana El Sahely, Stylist & Fashion Blogger - L'Armoire de Lana
- Mama is always right because she loves me and everything she says is said because she believes it's for my best.
- I got it from my mama: My love for fashion, my style, my appreciation for all beautiful things (food, fashion, interiors, art), in fact my mama is my style icon!
Nahla Tabbaa, Project & Space Coordinator - Makan Art Space
- Mama is always right because she's not very good at being wrong.
- I got my experimental style from my mama.
Rani Zakhem, Fashion Designer
- Mama is always right because she inspires me in every way. She taught me to believe in myself and have the courage to think differently. She was and is eternally inquisitive, open and compassionate about other people and cultures, which opened up worlds for me growing up. Her advice is invaluable, and even though sometimes I don't listen, I eventually end up following her words, because she turns out to be right every time.
- I got it from my Mama: The love and appreciation of everything fashion, art, and beauty! She is and always will be my eternal inspiration.