February 17, 2014 12:00 AM | by Amira Azzouz
How to Manage Your Time at Work Efficiently
Focusing at work and getting your daily tasks done might not be the easiest thing to do at times, especially when you have tons of issues on your mind. But it's crucial to know the below tips to help you manage your time at work efficiently:
1. Always start with 20% of the work that will get you 80% of the results. That way you'll feel like you've finished a big load or bulk of your work, which will get you even more energized and motivated to finish the rest much quicker than you thought.
2. To-do lists are a must when you're trying to manage your time at work efficiently. How about trying to go for a daily to-do list to organize your thoughts and duties, in addition to another one to plan your weekly tasks. Keeping things organized helps you stay on top of your game, and hence achieve more in the most efficient way.
3. Emails are important, but they shouldn't take a big bulk of your time. Having to get back to tons of them will only result in slowing you down, so try giving your emails only half an hour of your time, let's say at the beginning of your work day. If you receive more during the day, give yourself another half an hour to respond to the rest by the end of the day.
4. There's no way you can work from nine to five without a good break in between. So instead of getting distracted every once in a while to grab a bite or have a side talk, it's much better to take a lunch break in between to rest your brain a bit and get a chance to chit-chat with your co-workers.
5. I'm well aware that personal issues can hunt you down once you're at work, but make sure they don't come into the way of your work. How about you avoid taking personal phone calls during work?
6. Timing each task and challenging yourself at work is a great way to keep yourself motivated, and it also helps you manage your time at work efficiently. Try to think of how much time each task would take you and stick with that!
7. Although some of us need social media as it's a big part of their work, but for others who don't need to check it regularly, I'd say it's better to completely ditch it. Social media only takes a big bulk of your time, not to mention energy, and you'll be leaving work without finishing off the duties you should have been doing. So no videos on Youtube, checking statuses on Facebook or posting new images on Instagram.
8. Brainstorming either on your own or even better with your team is a great way to get you excited, work creatively and plan your time wisely more than you thought you'd be able to. And let's face it, you can never run out of creative ideas!
9. If you're a food lover who likes to eat often, then I recommend going for small snacks that won't bother you nor delay your work.
10. When you need to get tons of things done, it's best to block everything around you. So how do I normally do that? I get my coffee or Red Bull next to me, and put my earphones on with my favorite music and just focus. Trust me, you'll do wonders with that technique!