October 24, 2019 04:54 PM | by Farida Abdel Malek
This Nutella Chocolate Cake Recipe with Bananas Is the Easiest to Make
My fiancé's birthday was 2 days ago, and I've made a tradition out of attempting and hopefully not failing at baking him a cake, with the help of my wonderful mother of course (can't do it without her). I asked him what he wanted and after a long pause, he gave me two words, 'Nutella' and 'crunchy'. So as you do, I googled Nutella chocolate cake and found this wonderful recipe by On My Plate, where the cake is also topped with yummy almonds.
As mom and I proceeded with this Nutella chocolate banana cake recipe, which is really easy by the way, we found that when it came to the Nutella sauce that is drizzled over the cake, we couldn't quite get it right because the cream that was used in the video was of a thicker consistency that we did not have. So my mom, the brilliant cook that she is suggested we try doing something a little different. The cake turned out so delicious and I couldn't wait to share it with you guys, so read the Nutella chocolate cake recipe here, with our minor changes. And of course check out the original recipe video below.
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 rip bananas
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup powder milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 250ml jar of Nutella (you can add more if you want a stronger flavor)
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 full Tbsp vanilla custard powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Sliced Almonds
1. Add the eggs, vanilla powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, oil, powder milk, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and water in a large mixing bowl.
2. Whisk all these ingredients together with an electric hand whisk until they're combined and smooth.
3. Peel and mash the bananas with a fork and then add them to the chocolate cake mix. Fold in the bananas with a spatula until evenly distributed.
4. Line a round baking pan with a parchment paper or butter it and cover the bottom and sides with flour.
5. Place the cake into a preheated oven at 170°C for around 35-45 minutes. Take out the cake and and let it cool.
6. Now for the Nutella sauce. In a pot, off heat, whisk together the sugar, milk and custard powder until the mixture is homogeneous.
7. Now add the pot on medium to high heat and keep whisking until the custard thickens.
8. Take the custard off the heat and add the Nutella, while mixing really well.
9. Cover the surface of the Nutella mixture with parchment paper, and let the paper touch the surface of the Nutella. This prevents it from forming a skin layer.
10. To toast the almonds, add some butter to a pan and consistently stir the almonds until they turn into a light golden color.
11. Poke the cake with a fork or the back of wooden spoon.
12. Now that the cake and the Nutella mixture have both cooled down, pour half the Nutella over the cake. Wait a couple of minutes for it to set a little bit and then pour over the rest.
13. Sprinkle the almonds generously on top, but just before you're about to serve the cake, so the almonds don't get soft and lose their crunch.
Recipe Credits: On My Plate
Main Image Credits: Women's Weekly Food
Find out how to make the most delicious recipes from our Kitchen section here.