January 05, 2020 05:42 PM | by Mai Atef
Why Collagen Is Really Good for Your Skin and What Products to Buy?
You've definitely heard about the benefits of collagen for the skin before, but it's one of those things that you can never get enough of reading or learning about. Collagen is a protein naturally found in the skin. With age collagen starts to decrease and the skin begins to lose its elasticity and wrinkles start to appear. So, let's start to get more familiar with the benefits of collagen, how to use it and what products to try...
What is collagen?
Collagen is a protein that is found with abundance in the body. We have more than one type of collagen in our body and it is located in different places, like the muscles, blood vessels, bones, tissues and of course our focus today, which is the skin. Collagen has a lot of benefits for our skin, so let's get to know them.
Collagen benefits for the skin...
1. Collagen maintains the skin's elasticity and helps it become more soft, radiant and supple.
2. Collagen helps fill in the gaps in our skin, especially the ones caused with the appearance of wrinkles.
3. Collagen heals the effects of acne and pimples to maintain the skin's elasticity and repair damaged skin cells.
4. Collagen helps balance the skin's complexion and can minimize dark under eye circles.
What causes of collagen deficiency and loss?
1. With age, the percentage of collagen production by our body in the skin decreases.
2. Exposure to sunlight, especially UV rays for prolonged periods, is one of the things that can cause lower collagen levels in our skin.
3. Habits like staying up really late also affects the skin. It causes the secretion of cortisol, and therefore reduces the collagen in the skin.
4. Vitamin C deficiency can lead to the loss of collagen in the skin which causes wrinkles.
Best collagen creams
You can compensate for the lack of collagen with skincare and using collagen creams regularly. I chose to show you two affordable options, the Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream, which is a moisturizer and the L'Oréal Collagen Moisture Filler cream. Don't use collagen creams if you're too young, ages close to 30 are ideal.
Injections are also another form of increasing the collagen in the skin. Dermatologists can inject collagen in the skin to help remove signs of aging and heal acne scars and skin imperfections. It is the fastest method but also the more expensive one.
Main Image Credits: Instagram @sundayriley
Got any makeup or skin care questions? ASK FUSTANY can help with that!